Education： 1978-1982, Bachelor, Hunan Medical College 1983-1985, Master of Science, Hunan Medical University 1990-1994, PhD (pharmacology), University of Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada Specialties： Molecular Diagnostics, Gene Therapy Working Experience：
2007-present: Professor, Suzhou University 2003-2007: Visiting professor and Guest Professor, City of Hope National Medical Center 2002-present: Guest professor, Nanhua University
1999-2001,， UCLA and Charle’s R. Drew School of Medicine, Assistant Professor, Laboratory Director 1986-1988, Lecturer, Hunan Medical University.
Publications 1. Li K, Welikson RE, Vikstrom KL, Leinwand LA. Direct gene transfer into the mouse heart.
J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1997;29(5):1499-504.
2. Li K, et al. Advances in cardiovascular gene transfer. Cardiologia. 1997;42:39-46. 3. Dupuis JY, Li K, et al. Beta-adrenergic signal transduction and contractility in the canine
heart after cardiopulmonary bypass. Cardiovasc Res. 1997;36(2):223-35.
4. Li K, et al. Myocardial alpha1-adrenoceptor: inotropic effect and physiologic and
pathologic implications. Life Sci. 1997;60(16):1305-18.
5. Li K, Rouleau JL.Altered responsiveness to endothelin-1 of myocardium from
pacing-induced heart failure model in the dog. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther. 1996;10(2):107-12.
6. Li K, et al. Vascular-derived myocardial contractile factor: positive myocardial inotropic
substance released from medial layer of the canine aorta. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1996;28:881-92.
7. Qi X, Li K, Rouleau JL.Endocardial endothelium and myocardial performance in rats:
effects of changing extracellular calcium and phenylephrine. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1996;28(5):859-69.
8. Kass-Eisler A, Li K, Leinwand LA.Prospects for gene therapy with direct injection of
polynucleotides. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1995, 27;772:232-40.
9. Li K, Rouleau JL.Tension-frequency relationships in normal and cardiomyopathic dog and
hamster myocardium. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1995;27(6):1251-61.
10. Li K, et al. Role of endothelial cells in cardiovascular function. Life Sci.
11. Li K, Rouleau JL.Age related changes in contractility and α-1 adrenergic responsiveness
of myocardium from normal hamsters and hamsters with hereditary cardiomyopathy. Cardiovasc Res. 1993;27:968-73.
12. Li K, et al. Endocardial function in pacing-induced heart failure in the dog. J Mol Cell
13. Li K, Rouleau JL, Andries LJ, Brutsaert DL. Effect of dysfunctional vascular endothelium
on myocardial performance in isolated papillary muscles. Circ Res. 1993;72(4):768-77.
14. Li K, Rouleau JL.Alpha 1-adrenergic stimulation increases the Vmax of isolated
myocardial papillary muscles. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1991;69(12):1804-9.
15. Li K, Stewart DJ, Rouleau JL.Myocardial contractile actions of endothelin-1 in rat and
rabbit papillary muscles. Role of endocardial endothelium. Circ Res. 1991;69(2):301-12.
16. Calderone A, Bouvier M, Li K, Jet al. Dysfunction of the beta- and alpha-adrenergic
systems in a model of congestive heart failure. The pacing-overdrive dog. Circ Res. 1991; 69:332-43.
17. Liu LY, Chen X, Li K, Wu WJ. Beneficial effects of enalapril on reperfusion arrhythmia
and segmental contraction in anesthetized dogs. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 1987;8(5):434-8.
18. Li K, Chen X. Protective effects of captopril and enalapril on myocardial ischemia and
reperfusion damage of rat. J Mol Cell Cardiol. 1987;19(9):909-15.
19. Li K et al: Technology evaluation: ISIS-3521. Current Opinion in Molecular Therapeutics.
20. Li K et al: Technology evaluation: Gene therapy (FGF-5), Vical. Current Opinion in
Molecular Therapeutics. 1999, 1: 260-265
21. Zhang J and Li K. The 3’ terminal labeled primer extension: A new method of high
throughput screening for SNP analysis. Current Drug Discovery. 2001: 21-23.
22. Li K and Zhang J: ISIS-3521 ISI Pharmaceuticals. Current Opinion in Investigational
23. Zhang J, Li K, et al: Different application of polymerase with and without proofreading
activity in SNP analysis. Lab. Invest. 2003, 83: 1147-1154.
24. Zhang J. et al. De novo synthesis of PCR templates for the development of SARS
diagnostic assay. Mol. Biotechnol. 2003, 25: 107-112
25. Zhang J. and Li K. Single base discrimination mediated by proofreading 3’
phosphorothioate- modified primers. Mol. Biotechnol. 2003; 25: 223-228.
26. Li K, Zhang J. New SNP assays from an old concept of proofreading. Current Drug
27. Zhang J and Li K. On/off regulation of 3’ exonuclease excision to DNA polymerization by
exo+ polymerase. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2003, 36: 525-528.
28. Zhang J, et al. On/off switch mediated by exo+ polymerases: Experimental analysis for its
physiological and technological implications. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 2003, 36:529-32.
29. Zhang J, Li K, et al: Efficient mutagenesis method for producing the template of single
nucleotide polymorphisms. Mol. Biotechnol. 2003, 24: 105-110.
30. Zhang J, Li K. New performance from an old member: SNP assay and de novo
sequencing mediated by exo+ DNA polymerase. J Biochem Molecular Biol. 2004, 37: 269-274.
31. Zhang J, Li K, Pardinas JR, Liao DF, Li HJ, Zhang X. SNP discrimination through
proofreading and OFF-switch of exo+ polymerase. Mol Biotechnol. 2004, 27:75-80.
32. Li K, et al. Superb nucleotide discrimination by a novel on/off switch for DNA
polymerization and its applications. Mol Biotechnol. 2005, 29:93-100.
33. Liao DF, Chen LL, Peng CY, Zhang J, Li K. Exo+ proofreading polymerases mediate
genetic analysis and its application in biomedical studies. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2005, 26:302-6.
34. Zhang J, Li K, et al. Proofreading genotyping assays mediated by high fidelity exo+ DNA
polymerases. Trends Biotechnol. 2005, 23:92-6.
35. Chen LL, Zhang J, Sommer SS, Li K. Single-base discrimination mediated by
proofreading inert allele specific Primers. J Biochem Mol Biol. 2005, 38:24-7.
36. Peng CY, et al. The specificity analysis of the on.off switch in discriminating genomic
sites of single nucleotide polymorphism. Research paper collection edited by Chinese Association of Science and Technology. 2006, 3: 868-871.
37. Zhang J, Zhou C, Yin Y, Chen L, Pardinas JR, Liu T, Gao H, Saldivar JS, Li K. Detection
of Known Mutations with DNA Polymerases: Its Pharmacogenetic Applications. Current Pharmacogenomics, 2006, 4, 121-131
38. Pardinas JR, Xiao L, Zhang J, Li K. Re: Clinical and biological features associated with
epidermal growth factor receptor gene mutations in lung cancers. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2006, 98:362-3;
39. Mroske C, Muci J, Wang J, Li K, et al. Toward a fluorescent single-strand conformation
polymorphism technique that detects all mutations: F-DOVAM-S. Anal Biochem. 2007, 368:250-7.
40. Gu D, Scaringe WA, Li K, et al. Database of somatic mutations in EGFR with analyses
revealing indel hotspots but no smoking-associated signature. Hum Mutat. 2007, 28:760-70.
41. Gonzalez KD, Hill KA, Li K, et al. Somatic microindels: analysis in mouse soma and
comparison with the human germline. Hum Mutat. 2007, 28:69-80.
42. Zhang J, Wu YO, Xiao L, Li K, Chen LL, Sirois P. Therapeutic Potential of RNA
Interference Against Cellular Targets of HIV Infection. Mol Biotechnol. 2007,37:225-36.
43. Qian JJ, Cheng YB, Yang YP, Mao CJ, Qin ZH, Li K, Liu CF.
44. Yuan HY, Kuang SY, Zheng X, Ling HY, Yang YB, Yan PK, Li K, Liao DF. Curcumin
inhibits cellular cholesterol accumulation by regulating SREBP-1/caveolin-1 signaling pathway in vascular smooth muscle cells. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2008; 29(5): 555-63.
45. Xiao L, Zhang J, Yin YF, Chen CL, Li K, Chang A, Sirois P. Molecular diagnosis of HIV
and relevant novel technologies in mutation analysis. Biotechnol Adv. 2008,26:389-97.
46. Scaringe WA, Li K, Gu D, Gonzalez KD, Chen ZB, Hill KA, Sommer SS. Somatic
microindels in human cancer: the insertions are highly error-prone and derive from nearby but not adjacent sense and antisense templates. Hum Mol Genet. 2008; 17(18):2910-8.
47. Xiao L, Saldivar JS, Zhou C, Chen C, Zhang J, Sirois P, Li K. The Updated Concept of
Genome and Its Implications in Biotechnological Research and Molecular Diagnostics. Mol Biotechnol. 2009; 41(2):152-6.
48. Chen CL, Xiao L, Wang QL, Zhang J, Li K. Ethnic differences in susceptibilities to
A(H1N1) flu: An epidemic parameter indicating a weak viral virulence. African Journal of Biotechnology. 2009, 8(25): 7379-82.
49. Zhang J, Xiao L, Yin YF, Sirois P, Gao HL, Li K. A law of mutation: power decay of small
insertions and small deletions associated with human diseases. Appl Biochem Biotech. 2010,
50. Li K, Xiao L, Liu C, Zhang J, Sirois P. Transforming Viral Sequences to A (H1N1) Flu
Diagnosis: The Current Status and Future Prospects of rtPCR Based Assays. Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2010, 11:113-6.
51. Zhang ZQ, Lu GM, Zhong Y, Tan Q, Liao W, Wang Z, Wang Z, Li K, Chen H, Liu Y.
Altered Spontaneous Neuronal Activity of the Default-Mode Network in Mesial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Brain Research 2010; 1323:152-60
52. Youjia Xu, Pierre Sirois, Kai Li：Iron overload plays a unique role in osteoporosis. Blood,
53．Sun SW, Zu XY, Tuo QH, Chen LX, Lei XY, Li K, Tang CK, Liao DF. Caveolae and
caveolin-1 mediate endocytosis and transcytosis of oxidized low density lipoprotein in endothelial cells. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2010; 31: 1336–1342.
54. Zhang P, Xu YJ, Zhao DY, Ma Y, Xiao L, Feng YS, Du BC, Qian ZM, Li K.Increased
intracellular iron and mineralization of cultured hFOB 1.19 cells following hepcidin activation through ferroportin-1. Saudi Med J. 2010; 31:1303-8.
55. Jiao Q, Lu GM, Zhang ZQ, Zhong Y, Wang ZG, Guo YX, Li K, Ding MZ, Liu YJ. Granger
causal influence predicts BOLD activity levels in the default mode network. 2010, Human Brain Mapping. Hum Brain Mapp. 2011;32:154-61
56. Guo J, Shen JK, Wang L, Xiao L, Zhang RJ, Luo WF, Gong ZG, Sun J, Xu H, Sirois P, Li K. In vivo Evaluation of Cerebral Transplantation of Resovist-Labeled Bone Marrow Stromal Cells in Parkinson’s Disease Rats Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Appl Biochem Biotech. 2011; 163: 636-48. [PMID: 20821072 [PubMed]
57. Xiao L, Sun W, Zhang J, Zhou Y, Chen L, Gao H, Sirois P, Li K. An excess of G over C
nucleotides in mutagenesis of human genetic diseases. Mol Biotechnol. 2011, 48:1-6
58. Wang ZG, Lu GM, Zhang Z, Zhong Y, Jiao Q, Zhang ZJ, Tan Q, Tian L, Chen G, Wei Liao,
Li K, Liu YJ. Altered Resting-State Networks in Epileptic Patients with Generalized Tonic-Clonic Seizures. Brain Research. 2011; 1374:134-41.
59. Li K, Zhang J, Xiao L, Pierre Sirois, Gene therapy: Hope for HIV infection cure. Blood，
60. Xiao L, Zhang J, Sirois P, He N-Y, Li K: A new strategy for next generation sequencing:
merging the Sanger’s method and the sequencing by synthesis through replacing extension. J Biomed Nanotechnol, 2011, accepted
Case Scenario 1 A 53 year old white female presented to her primary care physician with post-menopausal vaginal bleeding. The patient is not a smoker and does not use alcohol. She has no family history of malignancy. She had an endometrial biopsy that was positive for endometrial adenocarcinoma. She was sent to have a CT of the abdomen and pelvis and was found to have thickening of the uterus
Peter Doeve EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND UNIVERSITY DEGREES Studied Organization and Leadership and General Economics at the Free University of Amsterdam (Drs), Business Economics at the Erasmus University (through KUR) (Drs), with specialization in Business Administration. Finalized his dissertation at Alliant University & Preston University in the United States of America with